Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Things Are Looking Up

I know we've only been in El Paso a little over 3 months but not knowing anyone here when we arrived things have started off slowing. But things are starting to pick up. I will take over the youth/student (6th - 12th grade) Sunday School class this Sunday. In fact, the church leadership is making an exception to policy by allowing us (me the youth and Lucy teaching children's church) this soon after arrival. Some of our frustration in not being able to help earlier arose from the fact that we didn't know that our church had a policy that stated members had to be in the church for 12 months before being allowed to take over teaching any class. They are changing that now to 6 months, but said they will take that down to 3 months in certain special circumstances. I'm excited about this opportunity. Although 6th-12 grades sounds like a large group, the class only averages about 8 youth each Sunday. Hopefully, that will grow to the point that we'll have to divide into middle and high school groups.

Secondly, after 3 straight years of mission trips to Guatemala, I really have a heart for the people there and the work that Nancy is doing. Leaving Northwoods appeared to end my trips there, but last week Nancy contacted me and asked if I would consider coming down there and produce a video for her to use at a fundraising banquet in the fall. Wow, not only do I get to go back to visit Guatemala and Nancy's minstry but I get to do some more video work which I really enjoy (I hadn't had any video projects since moving to El Paso).

Everyone knows that I love to play golf. Well, I still haven't played a single round since moving. However, Lucy and I (for years) have been looking for something for us to do together and she has really wanted to learn to play golf. Since I had a great golfing group in Tallahassee I didn't really encourage her (because it might take away my time from that group). I know that is a terrible thing, but it is honest. Anyway, we have recently bought her a starter set of clubs and have gone out to the driving range a couple of times where I'm trying to teach her the basics (i.e., all my bad habits). She has actually surprised me how well she has started. Once she feels a little more comfortable, we will get her a couple of "real" lessons and then we'll be able to get out on the course. Maybe this is why God didn't put any new golfing buddies in my life. I am really looking forward to being able to golf together. I hope it's not just to help alleviate my guilt for leaving her to play golf all the time. :)

1 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger Calyn said...

Fun times. I'm excited for you. 28 days. That's only 4 weeks. That's also the name of a movie. Miss ya, Mr. Jim. Maybe I'll get out to Texas one day. One day...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home